Today's post is for people who have never worn Birkenstocks. For those individuals who are contemplating the idea of slipping their feet into the most amazing shoe in the world......allow me to present to you:
Gina Mama’s Top 10 Tips for New Birkenstock Wearers
10. Figure out your WHY. Why do you want to wear Birkenstocks? For fashion? For comfort? Search deep in your soul and figure out if you are committed to this journey. You must be willing to tough it out for a few weeks, as you slowly break-in a new pair of Birkenstocks. For first timers, breaking-in a new pair of Birks may be the most excruciating thing that you ever do. But, having a footbed that is completely conformed to the shape of your foot, is soooo worth the pain.
9. Responsibility. Are you willing to truly respect your Birkenstocks? If you are going to treat a new pair of Birks like some dime store flip flops, then keep on trekking. You must love and respect your Birkenstocks. TIP: read my previous blog post, “How to Care for your Birkenstocks", to learn how you can keep your Birks lasting years and years.
8. Think positive. It is time to let go of all the negative stereotypes that you have ever heard about Birkenstocks. It is all about mindset. If you think you will love Birkenstocks, then you WILL grow to love Birkenstocks. Read my previous blog, “Wearing Birkenstocks does not make me a Hippie”, to learn more.
7. Get Help. Do not order your first pair online!!! Since this is your first pair of Birkenstocks, there is so much to learn about size, fit, width, footbeds (original vs soft footbed), models, styles, etc. Find an authorized retailer and get properly educated on your Birkenstock options and have your foot fitted by an expert. Then buy your Birkenstocks from the retailer who helped fit you! (Don't leave the store and buy the pair online, support small businesses!)
6. Time is your best friend. Know that perfection and comfort are not to be expected the moment that you take your Birkenstocks out of the box. It takes time, a week, two weeks, or maybe even longer to completely break-in your Birkenstocks. For all you newbies, be sure to read this blog about “How to Break-In your Birkenstocks”. Breaking-in Birkenstocks is about the shoe molding to your foot.
5. Intuition. Follow your intuition and find a style that feels most comfortable on your foot, not necessarily the one that you think is most stylish. You might love the look the of the Gizeh, but your foot might crave the straps of the Arizona. You won’t know which is best for you, until you try them on in a store. Remember Comfort is King/Queen.
4. Remain positive. Don’t give up. Positive energy will get you through the break-in period, whereas if you remain negative about the process, you may give up when you get your first Birkenstock blister. Just know that even the most experienced Birkenstock wearer might get a blister with a new pair of Birks.
3. Trust yourself. Don’t let outside influence sway your commitment to wearing a new pair of Birkenstocks. Wear your Birkenstocks with confidence, it is an integral pair of this journey. Who cares what anyone else thinks? Are you comfortable? That is all that matters.
2. Socks. Buy yourself a new pair of cute socks. Socks may be your best friend as you break-in your first pair Birkenstocks. Even though I may not regularly sport a pair of socks with Birkenstock sandals, I always wear a pair of socks when I am breaking-in a new pair of leather Birks. Doing so helps prevent hot spots and blisters from forming. Tip: look up Tabi socks for Gizeh and Mayaris.
1. Save. Once you learn about the peerless comfort that Birkenstocks provide, you will want another pair. It is never too early to start saving for your next pair.
If you need more suggestions and advice before purchasing your first pair of Birkenstocks, please refer to the blog list below:
Stepping into your First Pair of Birkenstocks
Original vs Soft Footbed Birkenstocks